Trucks are great for a good many things, not the least of which is hauling cargo. What trucks are not great at is fuel efficiency. Most large trucks get less than 20 miles per gallon. In fact, many average just 15 MPG. Ouch! Now let’s do the math. Say you drive 20,000 miles in a year. Divided by 15 MPG, that is 1,333 gallons used per year. Currently, the average gas price in Maryland is $3.70. That comes to roughly $4,932.10 annually in gas.
Now, before you go running to trade your pickup in for a hybrid, stop and take a deep breath. Fortunately, there are several steps you can take, as a truck owner, to maximize fuel efficiency.
- For starters, regular maintenance is a must. Simple maintenance, such as regular oil changes, air-filter changes, and spark plug replacements, will not only lengthen the life of your truck, but also improve fuel economy.
- Synthetic oil maintains its lubricating properties longer, allowing the engine to do its work with less friction and less wear.
- Tires can affect gas mileage by up to 10%. Whoa! So it is important to not only buy the correct tires, but also monitor tire pressure. Proper tire pressure optimizes fuel efficiency and minimizes tire wear and tear.
- A truck cap prevents air from swirling around behind the cab and throughout the bed, which creates drag and diminishes fuel efficiency.
- According to SEMA (the society for aftermarket equipment manufacturers), tonneau covers reduce aerodynamic drag by 4.2-7.8%, depending upon speed.
- Finally, the most important factor in terms of fuel economy is…drum roll please…YOU! It’s all about smoothness, using the throttle and brake as smoothly as possibly. No quick stops or quick accelerations. The smoother the ride, the less fuel you waste.
Tonneau Covers and other Truck Accessories to help maximize Fuel Efficiency
Trick Trucks has been helping people customize their trucks for over 30 years. Let us help you! Each Trick Trucks location throughout Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia offers full service installation of all of our interior truck accessories. Best of all, all work is guaranteed and all factory warrantees apply.
If you have any questions about How to maximize Truck Fuel Efficiency or want to know more about one of our many other Interior Truck Accessories and Exterior Truck Accessories, please contact Trick Trucks today by calling 1-866-60 TRICK or click here! Check us out on Facebook and Twitter as well!
10 Ways to Maximize Fuel Efficiency in Older Trucks