Are you in the market for tinted windows? While there are a number of practical advantages to tinted windows, it’s important to make sure your vehicle is following the proper rules and regulations for the state of Maryland. All post manufacture window tint film on motor vehicles registered in the state are regulated by Maryland State Law. Most regulated glass on vehicles allows for 70-75 percent of light. In order to meet the typical State requirement of 35 percent light transmittance, you will need to apply 50 percent post manufacture window tint film.
- Passenger Cars (2 door, 4 door, station wagons) – All windows on these vehicles must meet a requirement of 35 percent light transmittance. In addition, the brake light in the back window may not be covered by tint.
- Trucks, Vans, SUVS: The windows immediately left and right of the driver are the only ones that are regulated on these types of vehicles, and they must meet the same 35 percent light transmittance requirement.
- Windshields: You may not place post manufacture window film on the front windshield below the AS1 mark or 5 inches down horizontally from the top, whichever is less.
- Tint Colors: Yellow, red, amber and reflective (mirrored) post manufacture window tint film are prohibited.
- Medical Waiver: According to Maryland Transportation Article Title 22, Section 406, a person who must be protected from the sun for medical reasons is exempt from the 35 percent light transmittance requirement. This exemption applies to all regulated windows other than the windshield below the AS1 mark or 5 inches from the top. The vehicle owner must have a written certification that details his/her medical need for tinted windows from a physician licensed to practice medicine within the state of Maryland.
- Limousines: Post manufacture window tint film may not be placed on the windshield or immediately left and right of the driver.
- Commercial Vehicles (dump trucks, over road tractors, tow trucks) – Commercial vehicles cannot have post manufacture window tint film on the windshield nor immediately left and right of the driver that reduces light transmittance below 70 percent.
Truck Accessories from Trick Trucks
Looking to get your truck ready for your next road trip? Trick Trucks is here to help. With over forty years of experience servicing trucks, we have the expertise and equipment you need. Contact Trick Trucks online or by calling 1-866-60-TRICK. To find out more about our services and trucks, follow us on Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, Google+, and YouTube.